I want this discussion to describe actions that you should take when buying portfolios of any kind. I had just got ripped off, and I have to pay the real owners back what I've collected, and lost the money I put out. So what are the steps that need to be taken?????????

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So sorry to hear that happened to you. Did you get a chain of title?

Get as many references as you can on the party you are buying from...that, in my opinion, would be the first step, especially if you are buying from an individual and not a company. As an individual I sometimes sell portfolios and I always expect to provide references to the party I am selling to.

Knowing who you are dealing with is important. References are good but can be staged. I check the business address of the seller. If it is a UPS store or a PO Box I am wary. I research the company to see how long they have been around. I search for references to them on the web. I check the chain of title for the portfolio.

This is just a few of the things I have done in the past. Now, I only deal with folks I know. For our clients I try to keep track of everyone who is selling debt.

Who was the company  you get rip off from?

I like to find out the other collection agencies before me that worked the accounts. So with the chain of title, I can go find out why the other company / s sold the debt. Maybe they were told the accounts were scrubbed through pacer and they got 10 old bks on the files within the first week. It's crazy!

RSS

Partner Companies

Events

Important Links

Join Our LinkedIn Group

Join us on Twitter

You agree that in posting to this site you will abide by the Terms of Service, which are also available below.

© 2014   Created by Mike Gibb.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

My title Your SEO optimized title